How to Hire Best React Developers (In 2022)
Here is everything we have learned from our first-hand experience of testing and hiring thousands of React Developers.
Are you interested in hiring a React developer? Not sure you need React.js or ReactNative and if it is better to hire directly or through one of the freelance platforms? Then this guide is for you. Here is everything we have learned from our first-hand experience of hiring hundreds of React Developers. This "in the trenches" guide will explore the tactics, interview questions, best technologies, rates, and important skills that will help you in your search for the best React Developer for you. Whether you're a CTO, CIO, Tech Lead, or Hiring Manager, this article will help quality-discerning recruiters identify the best full-time or part-time react developer that fits your needs.
Things to Consider:
There are so many “Programmers” out there claiming that they can deliver great service, quick results, and have years of experience that they can offer to their prospective clients. However, it often happens that this is not the case. Here are some things to consider:
- The challenging part of hiring in the software industry is that it is very easy to bluff.
- Developers can promise top class cross-platform mobile applications that feel truly native, are fast to market, and are created in a short development cycle. This is very tempting to hear for even the best CIO, CTO’s, hiring managers.
- When looking to hire developers, IT heads can often be blinded by technical blurb and be convinced into believing things that aren’t possible, realistic, or designed to their actual needs.
- From our experience of speaking with IT Heads, we often hear appalling stories about software developers taking money, providing unrealistic expectations, and ultimately, delivering disappointing products to the client.
An example of this can be seen in a recent conversation that we had with the CTO of a leading FinTech company about their experience of hiring a “professional freelancer” that had lied about their experience. The React Developer claimed to have 4 years of experience with development in React.js and on his Linkedin profile he even had 5 endorsements for that skill. But eventually, it was found that he started programming only 11 months prior and had faked most of his resume.
Relying solely on resumes can be misleading and risky. From our experience, most of the companies that we have worked with have had a significant amount of time and money wasted on developers only to find the end product underwhelming.
This highlights an important consideration for hiring, which is that it is very beneficial to test developers on several levels, which is something that we do here on Hiremotely. All of the applicants has to pass 5-step testing process which includes static code analysis, testing project, programming languages test as well as personality evaluation and communication skills.
Using our years of experience hiring and working with thousands of developers and our easy to use platform, we can help to navigate your journey to land the best React Developer for you. If you don't have time to hire developer on your own, just fill in the hiring form or click the button below and we will provide you with up to 3 candidates within 24 hours.
React Developer's rate calculator
What is React.js used for? (web frontend)
Next it becomes important to explore what specific React Developer you are looking for. One area that many React Developers specialize in is React.Js. Developers who have the ability to effectively use React.js can be essential in designing a well designed, functional, and interactive website. Here are some features of React.Js:
- When you explore the web today, you are likely to land on an asset that was built using React.js. They are everywhere!
- If you are looking for a React.js, chances are you know React.js was developed by Facebook in response to the need for a “dynamic and high performing User Interface (UI).”
- React.js has become a widely used and powerful tool for developers, and finding the right React.js developer can be an essential feature of having a user-friendly interface for people who use your mobile apps and websites.
Are you a React developer?
Would you like to be the part of an exclusive Hiremotely community of top developers? Click the button below:
What is ReactNative used for? (mobile apps)
- ReactNative targets mobile platforms rather than browsers.
- With ReactNative, the developer only needs to develop the application once and it will run on multiple platforms including both iOS and Android devices.
- ReactNative offers faster mobile development and more efficient code sharing without sacrificing application quality.
- For someone looking to hire a React Developer specifically for mobile applications, hiring a developer who is competent and experienced with ReactNative could be perfect!
Defining whether you need React.js or ReactNative
Are you torn between hiring a React.js or ReactNative developer? We get you - we’ve been in your shoes before. The whole React.js vs. ReactNative debacle can be confusing.
There are advantages and disadvantages to both and finding the right developer can be difficult. However, we always advise companies and hiring teams to keep it simple and not to overthink it. Determining the kind of end product you want is the first step in helping you decide your choice of developer.
Naturally then, the formulae that have given us and clients we’ve worked with the best results are:
- Hire React.Js developers if the goal is building Websites and web applications.
- ReactNative developers are better for developing mobile applications.
Sounds simple? Yes. But it has saved us and our team from lots of hassle - we believe following this premise would give you similar benefits too. We’ve highlighted some must-have skills you should expect from your developer below.
Which other technologies should React developers know?
In addition to sound knowledge in using the React framework, here are some essential proficiencies you should look out for when hiring a React developer.
Node.js for full-stack
Perfection in HTML+CSS
We would strongly discourage hiring a developer that is not all-around strong in HTML and CSS. These programming languages are the bedrock of creating and working with user interfaces which are crucial for whatever you want to achieve. As far as proficiency in HTML and CSS goes, we always hire those developers that can:
- Write and use CSS selectors
- Write and work with semantic HTML tags
- Complete a CSS reset
- Create and work with responsive web principles
- Work with the box model and also Reset border-box
We’ve discovered that these capabilities tend to complement each other to give your product an extra edge. In many cases, knowledge of more than one of these areas will get your project on track without the need to hire extra people. In the end, consider it getting the best of possible worlds by finding a developer that is competent in many different software programs.
What are the important hard skills of a React Developer?
Next it becomes important to consider the skills that are important for a React Developer to have and to outline the different levels of React Developers like Junior, Mid-level and Senior React Developers.
The skills that we would like to highlight below are not exhaustive and they do not represent an exact measure of a developer’s competence. With that out of the way, we have curated the most important skills a react developer should possess. Arm yourself with this knowledge when next you are looking to hire a developer for your company and you won’t go wrong! The following outlines the bare minimum in terms of industry-specific skills you should expect from your react developer:
Junior React Developer
Junior Developers as the name suggests are the least experienced. In most cases, they are recent college graduates looking to work or already working as developers for the first time.
Looking to hire a Junior React Developer? The candidate should be:
- Proficient in working with React framework and its main components, APIs, and libraries.
- Accomplished in implementing navigation.
- Competent when it comes to using state management tools especially Redux.
- Capable of completing basic debugging and testing principles using the appropriate tools
Things to keep in mind:
- Junior developers can’t solve complex issues.
- In most cases, Junior Developers would need supervision from an experienced colleague.
- Junior Developers tend to be exuberant and inexcusably think software that is “working” is automatically good software.
Mid-level React Developer
Mid-Level Developers are quite experienced. They often have at least 2 years post-college graduation experience working on different projects. This category of developers can build a product that works great independently and they often have shown good problem-solving skills.
Looking to hire a Mid-level React Developer? The candidate should be:
- Capable of identification and implementation of app performance optimization processes and crucial code improvements.
- Proficient in designing and developing mobile-specific features.
- Working with and integrating third-party services, external hardware’s, assets, and APIs
- Skillful in offline data caching
- Revamping UI, UX, and overall design aesthetic of the business-critical customer-facing portals
- Able to sign and deploy apps
Senior React Developer
Unlike the previous two, a senior developer is well rounded in terms of skills, knowledge, and experience and are capable of expeditiously managing workflow and teams. With at least 3 years of working experience, a senior react developer would have numerous successful app launches under their belt.
Looking to hire a Senior React Developer? The candidate should be:
- Experienced in all phases of React like Requirement Analysis, Implementation and Maintenance, and extensive knowledge of react development technologies and programming languages.
- Able to develop native apps and can port existing Android or iOS app to React Native
- Knowledgeable of utilizing cloud technologies to integrate between Application to Application
- Skilled in front-end development with back-end system integration.
- Proficient in using Version Control tools for Source Code version management.
- Able to mentor and build a development team
- Nifty with various software development approaches
- Accomplished when it comes to supporting the transitions from one development approach to another
- Capable of complex research and development
Here are some profiles of Senior React Developers on Hiremotely:
In addition to hard skills, there is a range of soft skills that all developers should have. Irrespective of the level of experience, here are some important soft skills that we consider essential for a React Developer:
Setting clear KPI’s for your developer and making sure they get a clear picture of what you want to achieve is a good start point. The React Developer should be committed to meet your needs and have a proven track record of experience in building effective websites or mobile apps.
Clear and concise communication is an essential feature of an experienced developer and a good sign that you can have a smooth-running relationship with your developer.
- From our experience of communicating with clients, one common feedback that we hear is cases where the Developer will change specific KPIs without letting the client in on the picture, or by the time that they do communicate the changes they are making, it is already too late.
- You don’t need us to tell you how disastrous this can be. Many times when we work with CIO, CTO, and hiring managers that have previously hired a react developer, the delivery wasn’t always the reason for their dissatisfaction– more often than not, the communication skills or lack of was. This is why we often suggest that clients consider the communication skills of the Developer when making their choice of which Developer is best for them.
- A Developer that asks good questions talks over issues, listens to your concerns, and then goes further to provide you with the best possible customer service in response to your needs is an essential part of a project running smoothly to the satisfaction of both parties.
Understanding your goal
Understanding the “real” intent of a goal you want to achieve with your project should be top of the priority for the prospective developer. This is the only way to ensure that you are on the same page with the Developer and that you will be satisfied with the end result. A developer that shies away from understanding your unique needs is likely to provide you with a kind of “cookie-cutter service,” meaning that they will provide you with something that may not consider your specific goals or needs. This is why we suggest that people avoid hiring Developers who aren’t considering your goals!
A good React Developer is confident in their abilities and will be happy to share knowledge, teach you about the process, and explain what and why they are recommending something. Making sure you understand what your developer will do on your behalf is important to your business.
We suggest that when your developer sends you recommendations for your project, look into what they are suggesting and if you don’t understand it, don’t be afraid to ask them why. A reliable Developer should provide more to your company than a generic pitch/report and should be there to communicate throughout the process.
React Developer Interview Questions
Of all the vital lessons we’ve picked up over the years, the interview process, and more specifically the interview questions, play a crucial role in the process of hiring the right Developer. There are so many benefits to conducting a proper interview that can help to make the rest of the process go smoothly. Furthermore, it is almost mind-boggling how easy and fast it allows you to screen out unqualified candidates!
If a good interview is conducted, then you won’t need to outsource the recruitment in any way. One example of an interview technique is by having applicants answer questions online. You do not have to be a consultant react developer to do an online questionnaire and a standard knowledge of development will do. These questions can be grouped into two sets of general screening questions and industry-specific questions which we will explore further.
General React Developer Screening Questions:
This set of questions is generally tailored towards a get-to-know your candidate type of questions without driving at job-related competencies which can happen at another part of the interview process. Examples of these types of questions could be:
- Would you be responsible for any visa obligations related to this position?
- What is your city of residence?
- Do you have a LinkedIn profile?
- Do you have a GitHub profile?
- What is your desired salary?
- How did you hear about this position?
- Who referred you?
Industry-specific React Developer Interview Questions
This set of questions can help to gauge the React Developer's level of expertise and their proficiency in other related areas.
- How many years of software development experience do you have? (Only full-time, paid roles please)
- How proficient are you in the following (Please tick as appropriate):
CSS: Very Proficient ( ) Good ( ) Fairly Proficient ( ) Not Proficient ( )
HTML: Very Proficient ( ) Good ( ) Fairly Proficient ( ) Not Proficient ( )
React: Very Proficient ( ) Good ( ) Fairly Proficient ( ) Not Proficient ( )
React Native: Very Proficient ( ) Good( )Fairly Proficient( )Not Proficient ( )
Node.js: Very Proficient ( ) Good ( ) Fairly Proficient ( ) Not Proficient ( )
Dig deep with some specific questions like:
- What happens when you call setState?
- When setState is called, what process is initiated?
- Do you have examples of previous work?
- Do you have a portfolio?
Rates of React developers
Have more questions about the hiring process? Here are some articles that could help you in your search.
- How To Hire Programmers Online for a Startup (Link)
- Hire a Top Freelance Developer (Link)
- How To Hire an Entry Level Java Developer (Link)
- How To Hire Developers for App (Link)
- How to Hire Best Shopify Developers (Link)
Where to Hire React Developers
LinkedIn is a professional networking site with over 135 million users. The site is favored by professionals, recruiters, and active job seekers including react developers. It sounds like an ideal place to start your search right? Unfortunately, it isn’t that easy finding the right fit candidate due to the amount of time required in prospecting, contacting, and validating prospective candidates. From our experience, the stress is just not worth it in the end.
Freelance platforms like Upwork, Fiverr, PeoplePerHour, and a host of others are good sources of dirt-cheap services. But there is a catch: the low level of quality of Developers from these sites often leaves a bad taste in the mouth of clients. These sites emphasize cheap and quick services which can seem appealing, but the end results are often not to the satisfaction of the client and then requires extra work, time, and money to fix. Furthermore, profiles on freelance platforms can easily be manipulated to show that someone is an expert or has experience where they may not. In this way, it becomes very difficult to ensure that the Developer that you hire is really as capable and dedicated to your project as they may claim. If you want to learn more about the Pros and Cons of hiring on Freelance platforms, this article may be helpful in discerning the differences between different platforms. (https://www.hiremotely.com/blog/toptal-vs-upwork-vs-hiremotely)
Hiremotely - How It Works on Hiremotely
Considering the challenges of finding the right React Developer, this is where Hiremotely can help! We consider Hiremotely to be a hybrid between specialist software development agency and freelance platforms. What is the result of this? Guaranteed satisfaction and peace of mind that comes with partnering with a reputable freelance software development platform that has a diversity of choices at the best prices.
For over 5 years Hiremotely has been a go-to source for quality discerning IT managers, CTOs, tech-leads, CIOs, Hiring managers, and others looking for incredibly talented developers that can maximize the impact of their investment.
Hire developers on Hiremotely starting at $30USD/hour. No hiring fee. Guaranteed.
Hopefully, after using this guide for hiring React Developers you will be able to hit the ground running with your perfect React Developer and complete your project efficiently with the knowledge that you have hired the best person for your project!